Nurse Stephanie Klever, our resident nurse at Desert Cove Elementary, has provided the following valuable information to help you understand all of the different resources our students have in order to achieve optimum health and wellness:
Paradise Valley Family Resource Center
The Paradise Valley Family Resource Center (PVFRC) is located at the former Foothills Elementary School at 44th St. and Grovers. Funding for the PVFRC is largely provided by a grant from First Things First.
There are many classes, activities and services offered at the PVFRC, including the following:
- Food Pantry – A bag of food is provided for a family of four for one week. A referral from a school nurse or social worker is required.
- CPR and First Aid Training – Classes are available for groups, individuals and Spanish speaking families. There is a fee required to attend this class.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Classes – Strengthen your English-speaking skills with our comprehensive ESL classes.
- Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) Assistance – A representative from AHCCCS is available on Fridays by appointment only to help you with available health care programs in Arizona.
- Sewing Circle – Offered to adults and students who are in the 3rd grade and older. Sewing machines are available, but you will need to bring your own material. This class is free of charge.
- Mascot Club – This club is a full summer program as well as a district recess during the school year, for a fee.
- Kith and Kin Project – The purpose of Kith and Kin is to strengthen the quality and reliability of childcare provided by friends and family through support and training.
For more information on the Paradise Valley Family Resource Center, contact the PVFRC at (602) 449-7411.
Vaccination Requirements for 5th Graders
Students eleven years of age and entering the 6th grade are required to receive two immunizations:
- TDAP (protects against diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis)
- MCV4 (protects against meningococcal disease).
As your child celebrates his/her birthday, please follow up with your health
care provider and send an updated immunization record to the nurse’s office.
If your child needs to be immunized, the nurse’s office has a schedule of free immunization clinics available on our rack right outside our door.
Desert Cove Elementary supports fostering nutritious eating habits so our district's children will be prepared for a healthier lifestyle.
The National School Lunch Program provides students who meet certain criteria free or reduced-price meals. Applications are available in our school cafeteria.
Please visit our Lunch Menus page for additional information, menus and online meal payments.