Desert Cove School Hours: 8:15 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Playground gates open at 7:55 a.m.
To Excuse an Absence
Excused absences should be phoned into the office by 9:00 a.m. each morning that a student is absent. For your convenience, we do have an answering machine on 24 hours a day to report absences at (602) 449-3401.
The School Site Council has approved the following attendance policies and procedures:
- If a child is tardy for one full period (40 minutes), the child can be counted as absent.
- If a child is tardy for a medical visit, a slip verifying the appointment must be presented when returning to school.
- A Transfer student or Open Enrollment student who is tardy repeatedly with no corrective action taken by parents will be asked to attend their home school the at the terms end.
- If a child is absent repeatedly, a letter will be sent home at regular intervals (every five absences) to remind parents of the importance of school attendance.
- If a child accrues 18 absences of any type in a school year, the parents can be cited and would need to attend a court hearing to address the issue.
- In the unlikely event a child accrues 5 unexcused absences, the parent can be cited and would need to attend, along with their child, a court hearing to address this issue. Notification of unexcused absences will take place at 3 days and 5 days by letter and phone. The 5th day notification may include a citation for a court hearing. (ARS § 15-802, ARS § 15-803)
- Parents or guardians must call in to excuse a child within 24 hours to avoid an unexcused absence for the day.
Dismissal During the School Day
There are times when it will be necessary for a student to leave school for medical or dental reasons, etc. If it is necessary that a student be excused during the day, a parent must come in the office and sign the student out. A student will not be released to any person other than the parent unless the person is listed on the emergency card. Please be prepared to present picture identification.
The first school bell will ring at 8:10 a.m. each morning. This is the signal for all students to line up in their designated area for class. Their teachers will take the students to their classes. At 8:15 a.m. the second bell will ring and all students should be in their classrooms. All students arriving after 8:15 a.m. must be signed in by a parent or guardian and receive a tardy slip before being admitted to class.